Does anyone know what phone the now-dead Austin bomber (who was tracked by police) was using?

Old March 26th 18, 07:15 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Frank Slootweg

Default [OT] Mr. EMAK lies about what happened! News at eleven. (was: Does anyone know what phone the now-dead Austin bomber (who was tracked by police) was using?)

Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

Notice Frank Slootweg that I have often mistaken you for one of the Apple
Apologists, simply because you act as childishly as they do.

You incessantly play what even you admit to be silly semantic games

Yet another of your outright lies! I have never admitted any such
thing, for the simple reason that I was not playing games, but - as
usual - you were.

So - because you *claim* to always speak fact -, for once in your
life, *deliver* the goods and *prove* that I have admitted playing silly
semantic games. I.e. provide a verbatim quote (with News URL). Any other
response is unacceptable and is an implied admission of lying.

We won't be holding our breath, because we know you won't and can't
deliver.

over
Usenet headers, and then when you're consistently proven dead wrong, you
seem to think this is some kind of one-upmanship game.

Same demand-for-proof of me being proven dead wrong.

The one who was dead wrong, was again *you*, because you claimed you
could change *any* NetNews [1] header and later had to backpeddle and then
even managed to blame *me* for *your* backpeddle.

Bottom line: You are utterly unable to have a sensible, logical
discussion.

[1] You didn't refer to NetNews, but to NNTP, which (also) "shows that
you do *not* (fully) know what you're talking about".
Old March 26th 18, 09:20 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Jolly Roger[_3_]

Frank Slootweg wrote:
Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

[...]

It’s really pathetic watching him flail around destroying his almost
non-existent credibility over and over again without abandon as if he’s
fooling anyone here. He’s a washed-up old fool with no life who spends his
every waking hour trolling. Sad.

JR
Old March 26th 18, 10:05 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Fri, 23 Mar 2018 01:56:55 +0100, schrieb Carlos E. R.:

No, it is the same thing. Actually, it does not matter, as what you call
"the voice system" is always active and is calibrated to gather this
information automatically and continuously.

Thank you Carlos E. R. for being one of the rare (aka adult) posters to
this thread who comprehended the topic, and, additionally, who is adding
value to the topic!

Yes. I'm not sure what the technical term for the "ping" is that
establishes continual communications with the nearest tower, but we agree
that this is the ping that brought the police to the bomber's doorstep.

AFAIK, you "can" prevent that ping by putting the phone on "airplane" mode,
isn't that correct?

And another thing: they can track you days after you were there. Or
years after: the only requirement is that the provider stores the logs
from every tower. Then a court order to obtain the data and calculate
the position.

Yes. I was in a court case recently where it mattered where I was during a
certain time while I was tracking some activity in the woods a couple of
years ago.

The police knew about that tracking at the time, so I'm not sure if they
had the cell tower records purposefully saved, but they came up since where
I was at the time that the activity I recorded happening was important.

Who knows how long the cellular companies save this stuff, but you are
correct, which is, in fact, how they knew that the bomber was at the Home
Depot, and the Fryes and at, I think the FedEx.

Interestingly, the bomber thought that the FedEx trip is what killed him,
according to the police characterization of the video the bomber recorded.
But the bomber couldn't have known that they had tracked him a week prior,
based on his Home Depot transactions.

Something must have clued him into the police being called when he mailed
those packages as Kelly Killmore at the FedEx wearing the wig and gloves. I
think it could have been that there was no news, which indicated that the
packages were intercepted. I think one blew up but the other was captured
intact.

Apparently people in line were suspicious by his silly wig and gloves, so
they reported his vehicle which matched the Home Depot vehicle, so that's
when he knew the police were on to him (AFAIK).

There is nothing you can do to avoid this, AFAIK.

That's why I was saying that the bomber must have /felt/ extremely safe
because it's crazy to /plan/ to commit a crime and use a cell phone while
you're doing things related to the crime.

I can see using the cell phone during an unplanned crime of passion, or, as
a decoy trick to lead the police in the wrong direction, which is what I'd
expect any normal criminal to do ... for exammple to use the cellphone, as
a certain crime boss did with his vacation, to prove you're nowhere near
the crime scene ... but to use the phone during the commission of a crime
is just crazy if you plan on committing a crime.

For that they need access to a different data set. The phone must have
the GPS chip active, some application requesting the exact position, and
the phone sending that information back to somewhere - like Google,

I agree with you that, in addition to the basic cellular "ping", having GPS
turned on is crazy for a criminal to do on a planned crime. We don't know
whether this bomber had his GPS on, nor whether he had Android, and if he
did, whether it was set up to report his location in the background to
Google.

That would seem to be a stupid thing for a criminal to do, where this
criminal prided himself, apparently, on his technical know how (according
to the police characterization of the confession).

If he had an Android phone, it would behoove him to turn off all the
background Google tracking, and if he had an iPhone, it would be just as
sane to turn off any app that does tracking (such as Google maps).

Thanks for your on-topic adding of value to the question of what specific
cellphone technology did in the bomber.
Old March 27th 18, 03:08 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:00:55 +0000 (UTC), schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:

If/when the news releases the type of phone, please just update this thread
with that data, as I don't think the information is public knowledge yet.

Same with this guy, who made the news moments ago, where police said he
immediately stopped using his phone the moment he realized the police were
after him.
https://www.timesunion.com/news/arti...l-12782354.php
Old March 27th 18, 06:26 AM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Neill Massello

Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

Notice, as always, is the well-known cadre of about a half-dozen Apple
Apologists who can only spout drivel on this newsgroup?

Apple Appologists: [email protected], Jolly Roger, nospam, Joerg Lorenz, Lewis, etc.

Have you added any names to your list of bona fide idiots? I'm getting
lonely.

Old March 30th 18, 09:54 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Thu, 22 Mar 2018 06:34:43 +0100, schrieb Joerg Lorenz:

I only know the idiot who wants to know it ...

Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 20:37:59 +0200, schrieb Joerg Lorenz:

Nobody said anything like that.

I use more than one server as well but no anonymous servers.

news-out.google.com
news.netfront.net and
aioe.org

are responsible for a vast majority of troll postings in the usenet.

Joerg

I've been on the Usenet for decades, where I've interacted with the poster
Joerg quite a few times, where he has often proven he has the stunted
mental acuity of a child.

Hear me out, as I present the facts, where this Joerg /never/ adds
technical on-topic value to /any/ thread he posts to.

All he does is call everyone else a troll.

And what does he base his accusations upon?

He thinks that the mere fact that someone wants privacy means they're a
troll.

I've told him already, in other newsgroups where he trolls his accusations
left and right, that this is like saying all Blacks are criminals, simply
because they're black, all Italians are in the mob, simply because the mob
is comprised of a lot of Italians, all Jews are greedy simply because some
greedy people are Jews, all Germans are racist simply because some Germans
have committed hate crimes, etc.

What Joerg fails to understand is that a troll has to troll to be
considered a troll. That simple fact is compltely lost on Joerg, and he'll
never get it - simply because of two facts he's proven time and again.

1. He can't add technical on-topic value to /any/ thread topic, and,
2. He considers anyone wanting privacy to be a troll,
(where he's the troll, in actuality).

Want proof?

This is Joerg's 1st response to an on-topic question in a newsgroup:
"[I have no answer to the question]
I only know the idiot who wants to know it ..."
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/sgzGVamjKU0/bWXHKhH3AAAJ
Q: Is it on topic? (Answer = ?)
Q: Does it add value? (Answer = ?)
Q: Is it something the mind of a child would say? (Answer = ?)

This is Joerg's 2nd response when responded to by an adult:
"Only anonymous *idiots* are using anonymous news-servers.
Your header: Path: eternal-september.org!reader02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!aioe.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/sgzGVamjKU0/xj2X4Wn9AAAJ

This is Joerg's 3rd response when headers were explained to him:
"you are simply a big mouth. "
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/sgzGVamjKU0/UmK7yflFAQAJ

Joerg's 4th response responding to the proven troll, Frank Slootweg:
"+1"
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/sgzGVamjKU0/AmUPwr5ZAQAJ

I can go on proving two points but this should be sufficient for adults:
1. Joerg never adds on-topic technical value to any thread, and,
2. Joerg calls everyone else a troll simply because they desire privacy.

The adults on this newsgroup don't have to believe me ... where all I ask
is for them to ponder whether those verifiable facts above of about a half
dozen posts plus another half dozen responses trying to explain facts to
Joerg Lorenz (all wasted effort, by the way), added /any/ on-topic
technical value to the thread?

So that I'm not guilty of the same childish games that Joerg plays, I've
already proven two points, where I want to once more tell Joerg the
on-topic technical admonition that simply wanting privacy does not make a
person a troll.

In fact, Joerg clearly is guilty of exactly what he accuses everyone else
of being, simply because his posts /never/ add any on-topic value to any
thread.

Just watch...
Old April 1st 18, 07:04 PM posted to misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular
Frank Slootweg

On March 26, I wrote:
[...]

We won't be holding our breath, because we know you won't and can't
deliver.

QED.

Cell phone users secretly tracked in study Jim Higgins Verizon 8 June 8th 08 04:07 AM
Bomber princess UK mobile telecoms 0 June 2nd 07 03:37 PM
AT&T's Cingular to use Qualcomm MediaFLO for cell phone TV (KXAN36 Austin) DTC Cingular 9 February 15th 07 10:53 PM
AT&T's Cingular to use Qualcomm MediaFLO for cell phone TV (KXAN36 Austin) SMS AT&T Wireless 1 February 15th 07 05:38 PM
AT&T's Cingular to use Qualcomm MediaFLO for cell phone TV (KXAN36 Austin) SMS Cingular 0 February 13th 07 12:54 AM